You Don't Need to Buy a Flight to Travel The World!
One thing most Canadians pride ourselves on is our welcoming nature and the diversity that's woven into our cultural fabric.
My current vacation budget is a big fat zero. I recently spent ALL of my hotels.com, Aeroplan (Star Alliance) and Air Miles points. I'm panicking! After scrolling Instagram a little too late at night, a little too often, I got to thinking, "Do I really need to buy an airplane ticket to travel the world?"
This year the Canadian government is going all out celebrating Canada's 150th "birthday". (More on the controversy surrounding that to come in a later post). There have been all sorts of events in my city of Ottawa that celebrate the various cultural groups in my community. Most of the events are even free!
Looking for an event in your city, here are some helpful hints:
- Follow major foreign embassies or consulates in your area on social media. They often host open events around national holidays or over the summer.
- Follow online community event listings or social media postings by your city or town council.
- Search online to see if your city or town's recreation commission offers any community classes or sports leagues that you can join! Maybe it's time to pick up cricket or salsa dancing!
- Check out events happening at local schools or universities in your area.
- Check out all of the smaller communities in your city! Wandering the streets of Little Italy, China Town, etc. is a great way to get some great street art pics for the Insta, a belly full of good eats and some insight on community events!
- Ask your friends! You'd be surprised what fabulous annual events happen around you that you have been unaware of or blissfully ignoring.
- Pick up your city's (usually free) newspaper and scour the event listings and pay attention to those pesky posters on street poles.
- Regularly check the schedules of local arts centres, museums or theatres in your community. Bonus, there is usually some way to score discounted or free tickets on certain days of the week or month.
Need a buddy to go with you? Call up your pal that loves travel as much as you do and make a pact to go to at least one cultural event a month!
Any great and inexpensive tips I've missed? Do you have a favourite event that happens in your area?